The school motto, Quant Je Puis ("be the best you can be"), speaks of a tradition of excellence that has produced graduates that are 'educated' in the broadest sense of the word.
King’s School has a proud history as a South African Educational Institution. Here are some of the highlights of a tradition that spans almost 100 years.
1858 -The original farmhouse that still serves as the school office was built.
1908 - St Winifreds, a ‘home’ school for girls was established.
1922 - Sidney Edminson founds King’s School for boys.
1938 - John Mitchell (Senior) appointed headmaster of the school.
1955 - John Mitchell appointed headmaster on his father’s retirement.
1967 - Girls are admitted to King’s School for the first time.
1977 - Black children are admitted to the school, contrary to the National Party’s segregationist policies, finally resulting in the loss of government subsidies.
1987 - A board of trustees, chaired by Peter McKenzie Brown, philanthropist and anti-apartheid activist, takes over the governance of the school.
1990 - John Mitchell retires.
1991 - The board appoints Tanya Mitchell and Anton Davis as joint heads.
2003 - Anton Davis retires as headmaster.
2004 - Leslie Weinberg appointed Chairman of the board of trustees and Dr Ben Ngubane appointed patron of King’s School.
2007 – Dominic Carlyle Mitchell appointed as Chairman of the Board of Trustees following Alan Norman’s retirement.
2008 – The school is awarded international Green Flag status, through the Eco-School’s programme, for environmental action projects and for the integration of environmental learning within the curriculum.
2012 - King's School celebrates 90 years of educational excellence.